Please see the Junior Tennis Class Descriptions handout for information on the objectives of each class. Keep in mind that moving ball colors is not considered a move up or down. Graduated compression (Red, Orange, & Green) balls are designed to fit physical and technical development, not age or skill level. For all levels, private lessons are a valuable supplement to a tennis player’s development. For any player looking to increase their skill and enjoyment on the tennis court, one-on-one instruction is encouraged but not required. For questions or to set up a private lesson, please email Colan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please register your child for the class that fits his or her age. If your son or daughter could fit into multiple classes (ex: 10 years old Orange v. Green), please register them for the younger age group--moving to the next ball color will be determined by the tennis professional.
Having your own racquet is recommended but not necessary. As a guideline, Red Ball uses 19” and 21” racquets, Orange uses 23” and 25” racquets, and Green uses 25” or 26” racquets. If you are unsure which size to go with, please talk to Colan. We do have 25” and 26” racquets available for purchase and have plenty of racquets for you to borrow during class time!
* Total cost is for all classes on the day you select through the session dates of 10/15 to 12/1. If you register late, you will be prorated for the correct amount. Please note that the price per hour decreases as you sign up for more days per week.
- Ex: Sign up for Tuesday Orange Ball, pay $84 ($12/hour) and show up for class on Tuesdays. OR, sign up for Tuesday and Thursday, pay $130 ($10/hour) and show up all Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10/15-12/1.
Please email Colan (email@example.com) with any questions.
West Hills Junior Tennis Classes--Winter Session 2
Session Dates: January 13 - March 15
Red Ball 1 and 2 (ages 4-6 and 6-8)
A fun focus on developing basic athletic skills like balance and hand-eye coordination through games and exercise
- Tuesday and Thursday 5:30-6:15pm (45 minutes)
- Tuesday or Thursday only: $81; Both days: $126 (18 classes)
- Drop-in Rate: $11/day
Orange Ball (ages 8-10)
Begins to emphasize tennis specific skills and technique while continuing to build athletic skills through drills, cooperative-competitive situations, and games
- Monday and Wednesday 5:30-6:30pm, Saturday 10-11
- Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday only: $117 (9 classes); Two days per week: M/W: $198 (18 classes), M/Sa or W/Sa: $187 (17 classes, no class 3/14); Three days per week: $234 (26 classes, no class 3/14)
- Drop-in Rate: $15/day
Green Ball (ages 10-13)
Continues developing tennis-specific technique and athleticism. Greater focus on tactical situations and competing through games.
- Tuesday and Thursday 5:30-6:30pm, Saturday 11-Noon
- Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday only: $117 (9 classes); Two days per week: T/Th: $198 (18 classes), T/Sa or Th/Sa: $187 (17 classes, no class 3/14); Three days per week: $234 (26 classes, no class 3/14)
- Drop-in Rate: $15/day
Middle and High School Tennis:
Yellow Ball 1 (ages 13-18)
Geared toward the beginning and/or casual player. Primary goal is to develop athleticism and confidence in basic tactics through drilling, games, and match play.
- Monday and Wednesday 4:00-5:30
- Monday or Wednesday only: $216 (9 classes); Both Monday and Wednesday: $360 (18 classes)
- Drop-in Rate: $26/day
Yellow Ball 2 (ages 13-18)
For the varsity or high-lineup JV player. Further developing of tennis tactics and fitness. Greater focus on match play and the specifics of doubles and singles tactics.
- Tuesday, Thursday 3:30-5:30
- Tuesday or Thursday only: $288 (9 classes); Both Tuesday and Thursday: $486 (18 classes)
- Drop-in Rate: $34/day
Match Play Options
For any Yellow Ball player. Learning to play tennis matches is essential to improvement. Players will participate in singles and doubles matches with coaching and feedback during and after play. Strongly recommended and encouraged for any Yellow Ball player, especially as the high school season approaches.
- Time: Weekends, times/days vary; $10 per time. Registering for this offering will only put you on an email list. A message will be sent each week, and players can choose whether or not to play that week. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or sign up through the Park and Rec website!
Private lessons are a valuable supplement and can accelerate development of tennis skills. Please contact Colan (email@example.com) to schedule!