Commercial / Industrial / Subdivision
Commercial Contractors wanting to build in the City of Owatonna can find all information needed to submit for a building permit. All information must be completed and submitted with the Building Permit Application to the Building Inspection Department.
All of the following forms must be completed and included with the 2 sets of construction plans submitted to the Building Inspection Department for review. All projects are required to submit electronic copies of plan submissions and associated documents.
The City will review all grading plans to ensure that there is proper site drainage and that appropriate erosion and sediment controls are in place to prevent pollutants from leaving the construction site.
Contractors are responsible for scheduling the initial inspection with the City, prior to the start of construction, to verify the necessary stormwater pollution prevention best management practices are in place. Contractors are also responsible for scheduling the final inspection to verify proper stabilization exists following project completion (to be scheduled prior to final inspection with the Building Department).
Projects are required to submit an as-built drawing prior to permit close out and issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy.
Visit the Building Inspection Division's page for additional information regarding construction.
- City of Owatonna Notice of Transfer/ Modification Form (PDF): required when transferring or closing Grading/ ESC Permit.
- Commercial/ Industrial Construction Grading/ ESC Standards (PDF): application must be completely filled out and signed at plan submission
- Concrete Washout Requirements (PDF): Guidance for managing all liquid and solid wastes generated by washout operations
- Construction Grading ESC Guidance (PDF): Standard procedures and plans sufficient for typical commercial/industrial construction in the City of Owatonna
- Construction Stormwater Permit Overview (PDF): A technical summary of Minnesota’s NPDES permit
- Notice of Transfer/ Modification Fact Sheet (PDF): read prior to signing notice of transfer/ modification form and deliver to person responsible for SWPPP oversight.
- Engineering Design Standards - Post Construction (PDF): requirements for controlling discharge rate, volume, total phosphorus and total suspended solids.
- Stormwater Compliance Assistance Toolkit (PDF): Guidance intended as a resource to help small construction operators comply with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency’s (MPCA) Construction Stormwater General Permit.
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Template (PDF)